Building an email list is not on the priority list for most side hustlers starting. Yet, when you ask seasoned side hustlers what is one thing they should’ve started earlier, 60% of them say “start my email list”. In most of my side hustles, email lists were not the highest priority until I learned the power.
Why Side Hustlers Refrain From Building an Email List
Like most side hustlers, you understand the importance of it but never do it. Most of the time this comes from not wanting to give yourself more work than you need. An email list is a great asset and it should not be looked at as more work than you need.
I was feeling this exact way, and that is what made me wait almost 3 years before sending an email to my community.
My Experience Building an Email List
I made this excuse up in my head that if my email list got big and people were expecting to hear from me, then I am essentially creating another job for myself, why would I want that?
After taking Scott Voelker’s course on building an email list, I decided that I was ready. I was able to start bringing in some revenue and connecting with some amazing people in my community! After a few newsletters, it felt natural and top priority.
- Business Asset that works for you 24/7
- You need an email autoresponder, I am using MailChimp
- 5 Different types of lead magnets; contests/giveaways, checklists, guidebooks, templates, video lessons
Strategies For Building Your Email List (The 3 Step Process)
1. Lead Magnet
2. Landing Page
3. Paid Traffic
These are the only 3 things you need to build an email list. Paid traffic is just recommended to fast track success, but you can grow organically if you wish.
Building Your Lead Magnet To Grow an Email List
Through my research, I have found several different types of lead magnets that are attractive, and each has its pros and cons.
v. Video Lessons
Getting Ideas For Your Lead Magnet
What problem can you solve?
Having too little money
Relying on your day job for your finances
Not knowing where to start
Not knowing what tools to use
Need money this month!
What desire do you help achieve?
How to start a side hustle
How to build a business around a hobby
Easy Side Hustles To Make Extra Income From
Freedom through a side hustle
How to Find the Perfect Lead Magnet?
– Search your niche in Google, YouTube, Pinterest, Twitter
Creating the Lead Magnet
– Take existing blog posts
– Write blog posts and convert them into a lead magnet
– Record AUDIO and TRANSCRIBE it
– Create Infographic / Checklist
– Video (How To’s work best)
Tools For Building Your Lead Magnet
– Google Sheets / Docs
– Microsoft Word / Pages (For Mac)
– Canva / Stencil
– Screenflow / Loom / Camtasia
Creating Your Landing Page
The landing page is what people “land” on to download the lead magnet that you’ve created.
When creating the landing page, keep it simple. The background image should not overlap text.
You should not have a navigation bar either, give the customer no reason to get off the page. You should only have 1 goal, sign up to your lead magnet.
The key components of your landing page:
1. Lead Magnet
2. Image of the lead magnet
3. Title (The “Hook” or the “Benefit” of what the person will receive)
4. Description (Write out the benefits and how it will help them, also include who it is not for)
5. Bullet points, include numbers wherever possible
6. Thank you page (this will be helpful when you get into the re-targeting and more advanced tactics)
7. Email delivery download, which if you use MailChimp or a good EMS, you will be fine.
Delivering the lead magnet and the follow-up!
I’ve learned that when someone downloads your lead magnet, you have to follow up with your new subscribers and continue to build a relationship with them.
What should your first email do?
– Deliver the lead magnet! The most important. If you don’t fulfill your promises, they will unsubscribe.
– Start your relationship with your new subscriber. Ask a question and let them know you will follow up with them.
– Try to not put any images or buttons on the first email, as that may decrease deliverability. All you need to do is send a plain-text email with a link text.
Getting Traffic To Your Lead Magnet
The first thing is to look at the low hanging fruit, these can be things like:
Website, Facebook Page, Facebook Group, Pinterest, Instagram Bio, and anywhere else you are getting traffic (social media especially).
Twitter is a great one to look at if you have a Twitter following.
The Makeup of an Advertisement
Facebook is the best stop to do your advertising. You will want the following elements:
1. Question, Problem, or Outcome
4. Outcome they want (Benefit) in the main H1 of the ad